Tuesday, September 2, 2014

newtonian mechanics - Model/formula for bouncing ball


I'm programming an animation of a bouncing ball, and I want it to be as realistic as possible.


I fully understand the physics while the ball is rising and falling: It accelerates downward at 9.8 meters/second/second.


But once it hits the ground, I'm lost. I know that it experiences some compression which translates it's velocity upward again, at which point gravity is again the only force acting on it. But I don't know how to model the compression and deflection of the ball hitting the ground.


(Also, I'm only dealing with strictly vertical linear velocity and acceleration. The ball isn't traveling horizontally or rotating at all. And I'm assuming negligible loss to air resistance.)


I know there are constants to deal with: how much the ball resists compression and how much energy is lost during the bounce, but I don't know how they are related.


Can anybody give me a one- or two-paragraph explanation and/or (a) formula(e) and/or point me to a resource where I can read more? (yes, I've already spent an hour or so googling it)


I'm happy to continue reading about it until I understand, I just don't know where to turn at this point.


Thanks in advance!




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...