Saturday, March 14, 2015

newtonian mechanics - Potential for a general fictitious force?


In a general non inertial system four fictitious forces arise:




  1. Coriolis Force,




  2. centrifugal Force,





  3. azimuthal Force,




  4. "translational" Force (due to linear acceleration of the origin of the system)




I know that I can apply Newtonian laws to the system if I take these forces into account. I also know that I can apply the work- energy principle, if I take the work of these forces into account.


What I am not sure about is: can I associate a potential energy to all of these forces? (I.e. consider a fictitious potential field). This is not trivial since the fictitious forces do not obey to Newton third law (--> no reaction). I also don't understand if I should consider there forces as internal or external to the system.



I ask this question because I read somewhere about centrifugal force potential.


PS only thing I am sure: the Coriolis force does no work --> no potential associated with It.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...