Monday, January 7, 2019

quantum mechanics - How can orbitals be oriented if the nucleus is symmetrical?



I know very little about quantum physics, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that non-spherical orbitals appear to be "oriented", constituting a set of fixed "frame of reference axes".


Does it really work like that? Are there for a single atom given directions in which the orbitals "protrude"? And if so, what are they based on? If I understand it right, the nucleus is seemingly spherical - symmetrical with no unique axis of symmetry. What would then decide the orientation of the orbitals in space (with respect to the surroundings)?


Edit: I understand any orientation works to satisfy the wave equation. I was more curious why the atom would choose one direction, instead of any of the others. Is that fundamentally random? And is this setup retained further, or can it change at any time?





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...