Sunday, August 17, 2014

homework and exercises - Cylinder rotating without slipping on an accelerating slab



I am very confused by the following problem asked in my first year physics class:


enter image description here


Please let me know if you can assist in any way! I've spent hours and hours on this question and gained absolutely nothing. Everything I do seems to lead to a contradiction one way or another.


There are other resources online I've found that mention this question, but I can't tease out a good solution from these: Force on a solid cylinder that is rolling on an accelerating block https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-rolling-disc-on-a-slab.594918/


Thank you!




Answer



As this is a homework question I won't give you a full solution, only point you in the right direction.


On the lower block acts a second force, $F_F$, a friction force that causes torque and the angular acceleration $\alpha$ of the cylinder:


$$F_F R=-I\alpha$$


Where $I$ is the moment of inertia of the cylinder and $R$ its radius. It carries a minus sign because it points in the opposite direction of $F$.


So the net force acting on the block is:


$$F_{net}=F-F_F$$


Now also note that for rolling without slipping, with $a$ the acceleration of the block, then:


$$a=\alpha R$$


To determine $a$ and $\alpha$ use the equations above to set up:



$$F_{net}=ma$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...