Wednesday, April 10, 2019

homework and exercises - Totally antisymetric wavefunction: clarification about terminology



Pauli's Principle says:


"The wavefunction of two identical fermions must be totally antisymmetric".


I know that, for a antisymmetric wavefunction,


$(-1)^L*(-1)^{S+1}*(-1)^{I+1}=-1$


"totally antisymmetric" means this relation or it means that these 3 relations:


$(-1)^L=-1$ and


$(-1)^{S+1}=-1$ and


$(-1)^{I+1}=-1$


must be verified simultaneusly?



Answer




It's the total product. The famous example is the spin of the deuteron. We have evidence that the two-nucleon isospin triplet with $I=1$ is unbound because we do not observe diprotons or dineutrons in nature, so we expect the deuteron to have isospin $I=0$. We know that the deuteron has positive parity, so we require $L$ even; by antisymmetry the deuteron must have spin $S=1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...