Friday, May 23, 2014

electricity - Why do power lines buzz?



When near high tension power lines, particularly after a good rain, the lines themselves emit a buzzing noise. A similar noise can be heard coming out of the electric meters attached to my apartment.


I've heard before that this is supposedly from the 60Hz AC current that's running through the lines -- namely, that the buzz is the same 60Hz which is in the lines.


I'm skeptical of this though for a couple of reasons:



  1. I don't see any reason the change in electricity would somehow be audible.

  2. The noise subjectively sounds relatively high pitch. 60Hz would sound extremely low pitched -- it's near the base of human hearing of 20Hz (typical).


What is the actual cause of that buzzing?


EDIT: I just spent some time playing with a tone generator and the noise I hear from these things sounds closest to 120Hz using a square or triangle wave. (Oddly, not a sine wave, as I would have expected) Perhaps that helps?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...