Saturday, May 31, 2014

homework and exercises - Plank stopping time



Problem: A plank of length $L$ and mass $m$ lies on a frictionless floor, if the plank has an initial velocity $v$, what is the stopping time of the block if it meets a floor with friction constant $\mu$.



Problem Diagram


My attempt:


I took a little piece of block with mass $\Delta m$, we know that $\Delta m = m\frac{\Delta \ell}{L}$.



Now if I apply the Newton laws in this piece, I get the following equation:


$$N_{piece}= \Delta mg $$


Thus my friction is $f_r=\mu\Delta mg$


If I apply Newton laws to the whole plank, I get:


$$-f_r=ma$$ $$\mu\Delta mg=ma$$ $$\mu mg\frac{\Delta \ell}{L}=ma$$


$$a=\mu g\frac{\Delta \ell}{L}$$


I have this equation, but I don't know how to relate it with time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...