Saturday, November 28, 2015

metals - Radiation emitted from a real melted piece of steel [1800C] VS emissivity



In a lot of questions I read that a good approximation of the radiation emitted from a hot piece of steel is the black body radiation.


Than I search for the value of the emissivity of molted metal and I find that they are (for a molten Pure Iron) around 0.4 or less.


I know that the emissivity is the ratio between: the radiant exitance of that surface and the radiant exitance of a black body at the same temperature as that surface, so I expect to find a value which is very close to 1 while I get values of about 0.4.


So my question is: Why?


I hope to not forget something important.



Answer



I think you are confusing the fact that molten metal emits radiation with a spectrum that is very much like a black body spectrum with the fact that the material has a certain ability to absorb or emit radiation at all at any given wavelength (the emissivity).


When a physicist says something radiates like a black body, they do not mean that it has an emissivity of 1. What they mean is that spectrum of radiation is similar to that of the black body spectrum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...