Saturday, November 28, 2015

Temperature of gases


I can't find any law that states this (maybe the combined gas law does and I'm misinterpreting it?), but Feynman said that if you compress a gas, the temperature increases. This makes sense, for example, a diesel engine (or gas engine with insufficient octane or too high a compression ratio). Also, must thinking about a piston "hitting" particles as it is compressed makes sense that energy is imparted.


But he goes on to say that when the gas expands, there is a decrease in temperature. This used to make more sense to me, but the more I think about it, it doesn't at all. Why would the particles lose energy if the container expands?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...