Thursday, November 5, 2015

particle physics - How can $Lambda^0$ and $Sigma^0$ both have $uds$ quark content?


Title says it all: How can $\Lambda^0$ and $\Sigma^0$ both have $uds$ quark content? Doesn't this make them the same baryon?



Answer



The isospin is different. $I=0$ for the $\Lambda^0$ and $I=1$ for the $\Sigma^{0}$. This makes the $\Lambda^0$ an isospin singlet state but the $\Sigma^0$ is part of an isospin triplet.



There are quite few other examples e.g. compare a proton (uud with $I=1/2$) with a $\Delta^{+}$ (uud with $I=3/2$).


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...