Monday, September 5, 2016

electromagnetism - Does a permanent magnet loose its magnetism?



The question is slightly deceiving however still simple for those academics therefore, here I present my question:


If I take a para-magnetic material and put it very close to a homogeneous magnetic field, the para magnetic material will start to accelerate towards the magnetic body thus it has kinetic energy (but I ensure it does not hit the magnet and stop it with my fingers) so does the magnetic field or body loose it magnetism or will the same magnetism stay? Because in Wikipedia, it says:



Energy is needed to generate a magnetic field both to work against the electric field that a changing magnetic field creates and to change the magnetization of any material within the magnetic field




However I'm sure that para-magnetic materials are not magnetized, so where is this energy coming from? Or is my understanding wrong if so can someone link me to a good website which uses mathematics and theory to show how para magnetic material works?


Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...