Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Linear polarized 3D glasses and the physical shape of light waves



Looking into how linear polarized 3D glasses work, I keep getting explanations that boil down to this: enter image description here


However, I always assumed that a light wave was depicted in diagrams like this... enter image description here


...to more easily plot on paper its properties like frequency and amplitude. I never thought that light waves would physically actually look like that. I always imagined light waves being emitted in the form of a sphere centered at its source just like sound: enter image description here


If the latter is correct, then this explanation for polarized filters doesn't really make sense; or do I have some major misconceptions about the nature of waves?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...