Tuesday, November 11, 2014

hawking radiation - How do we know that black holes evaporate?


This has been bugging me for some time.


As I understand it, Hawking radiation is the result of the mismatch between the vacuum state of a quantum field as seen by a free falling observer (falling directly toward the black hole) and one that is sitting at a constant radius far away from the black hole.


This is perhaps the result of my naive understanding of the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me to say that a black hole radiates, because it's observer-dependent. How do we know that the thermal bath of particles that we see when we sit at a constant radius actually causes the black hole to lose mass? Is it just a simple energy conservation argument, or is there some subtle process here that I'm missing?





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...