Friday, January 30, 2015

What is the mathematical background needed for quantum physics?





I'm a computer scientist with a huge interest in mathematics. I have also recently started to develop some interest about quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Assuming some knowledge in the areas of topology, abstract algebra, linear algebra, real/complex analysis, and probability/statistics, what should I start to read to understand the math behind quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. If you could offer me books, and list them according to the order that I should read them, I would be glad.



Answer



I would read Richard Feynman's lectures on the subject. Specifically the book QED. If you are striving to learn some general concepts, a knowledge of the math is not necessary but is helpful. The extremely basic Quantum Physics topics use differential equations and complex variables and equations. (The standard Schrodinger equation for instance)


Books by Stephen Hawking speak about Quantum Mechanics as well, and are great introductions to the concepts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...