Thursday, June 25, 2015

gravity - Could this fountain, under the right conditions, technically be able to lift me up?


There is a big fountain in a lake in my city.


enter image description here


I was talking with a friend and we were wondering whether it would be able to lift me up. I sent a few emails and obtained information about the fountain. The raw email reads in French:



Nous avons 2 pompes de 150 HP qui pousse l'eau a 195 pieds de haut et la pression par pompe à la sortie est d'environ 380 pieds de tête.




I am not knowledgable in physics in any way, but this is how I can translate it to the best of my knowledge:



We have two pumps of 150 horsepower that push water at 195 feet high and the pressure by pump at the exit is of 165 PSI



Now, could this possibly be able to lift me, a 160 pounds man? How can I find out? And under what conditions would this work?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...