Tuesday, April 18, 2017

optics - Pattern in scaled down image of very close lines



Today I was watching a video on Youtube where I saw lines representing the light of a light source. While the image was downscaled like this:


downscaled image


There were some clear patterns on the horizontal and vertical lines going through the source. I already saw this phenomenon a few times when I received photos of computer monitors. When there were some closely packed lines I saw patterns resembling those in the screenshot when I was playing around with she scale of the image. As I was increasing or decreasing the size of the image the pattern was changing continuously.


This is what the actual image looks like when it isn't scaled down:


non-scaled image


The patterns seem to disappear.


What causes this phenomenon? I assumed it was falling under the category optics. If I am false, I am sorry.


source of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-o3eB9sfls




Answer



The moiré fringes are caused by undersampling, it is the difference between properly sampling a small field of view and undersampling a larger field, it causes spatial aliasing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...