Thursday, April 9, 2015

classical mechanics - Elastic collision between two circles



I am trying to calculate the final velocities of two equal mass 2-dimensional circles after an elastic collision. I have tried to figure it out using formulas I know from high school physics, but nothing seems to work. My known variables are:



  • initial x and y velocities for each circle

  • x and y distances between the centres of the circles at the time of the collision



The variables I would like to solve for are:



  • final x and y velocities for each circle


Here are diagrams showing all the variables:


variable diagrams




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...