Monday, May 8, 2017

quantum mechanics - Uncertainty Relations, Conjugate Quantities, and Fourier Transforms


I've heard from a lot of people that the reason momentum and position have an uncertainty relation is because of the Fourier Transform. But is this in any way the case?


If it were I would expect all conjugate quantities related by the canonical commutation relation to be Fourier transforms, but I don't think is true. in fact, I'm not sure how to write the eigenstates of an arbitrary operator as a function that I could Fourier transform.


So if it is the case that it is just, somehow, a coincidence that momentum and position are Fourier transforms of each other, which also coincidentally implies an uncertainty relation, could someone elaborate on this "coincidence"?





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...