Wednesday, May 15, 2019

mathematics - Maximize the number of factorials in your solution to 6 5 4 3 = 1


Using the same rules as Make 6 5 4 3 = 1, but maximize the number of factorials. You may not take the factorial of 1 or 2.



This is harder than it looks. A great answer has six factorials, an amazing answer has seven factorials, and an outstanding answer has eight or more factorials.


Edit: Shoot, I should have blocked factorials of numbers bigger than twenty like I did in my program.



Answer



I'll attempt with the rule "No factorials on numbers greater than 20". Here is a solution with 7. Some formatting help is appreciated



$$\frac{6!}{(5!\div4!)!}! \div 3!!$$



Method:



I started with the observation that 6! / 5! = 6, Likewise 5!/4! = 5. 3! = 6 so 6! = 3!! I then built up from there. So 6! = (6!/(5! / 4!))!




Figured out the missing factorial:



$$\left(\frac{6!}{(5!\div4!)!}! - 3!!\right)!$$ works since 0! = 1 by definition.



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...