Monday, July 21, 2014

Mnemonics to remember various properties of materials


I'm trying to figure out how to remember that



  • hardness: how resistant it is to deformation

  • toughness: how resistant it is to brittle failures


  • stress: force on a surface area

  • strength: ability to withstand stress without failure

  • strain: measurement of deformation of a material


Does anyone know of a mnemonic or easy way? I only know these from googling them, and I'm finding it tricky to remember them.



Answer



I always used to confuse stress and strain: most of my mnemonics involved making words out of initial letters.



When you're stressed, you show the strain.




Stress is what is applied to the material, strain is what it does in response - I always used to get these the wrong way around.



E equals Fl/ea



Young's Modulus = (force × length) / (extension × area)


Good luck with the others: I suggest imagining a hard man (grizzled veteran) who is actually secretly limp wristed and camp (he bends unlike hard materials), a tough guy (showy, probably with twin pistols) who literally goes to pieces in difficult situations (imagine his brittle bones snapping) and a strong man (lifting a dumbbell) who is crushed to a pancake by the weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...