Sunday, May 10, 2015

visible light - How to arrange mirrors so I can't see myself?


If I wanted to surround myself with mirrors how would I need to arrange them so that if I stood in the middle of them I couldn't see myself in any reflection?


For simplicity let's just say we only do the sides, not the ceiling and the floor.


How many panels would I need and in what configuration?



It seems to me that only a star formation could work, where all the mirrors are angled slightly outwards from me, but I'm not sure that at some point I would be reflected.


Is this even possible? Any ideas?


UPDATE:


Based on all the responses below I believe the problem is that I cannot have any angle facing me that is at 180 degrees or less.


For example, this is at about a 30 degree angle and doesn't work (thanks @mmesser314):


enter image description here


And this one is exactly 180 degrees and obviously will not work:


enter image description here


But from 181 degrees onward light is reflected away, like this:


enter image description here



So if we could figure out a configuration where I cannot see any angle that is less than 180 degrees I should never be able to see my reflection. This is what I came up with. Can anyone tell me if this (or some variation of it) seems valid?


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...