Monday, July 24, 2017

Diffusion vs Gravity in water: does a dissolved ion tend to "sink"?


Im a french student in geochemistry.


My question might be silly, but I became really too confused to answer it myself. Does gravity affect the diffusion of ions in water ?


Lets imagine a vertical volume of water. There is no temperature gradient. If some NaCl salt is placed (without disturbing the water) at the bottom, it will be dissolved quickely. But then ? : -Na+ and Cl- will start to diffuse as to get their concentrations homogeneous everywhere. There will be an upward flux . - Does gravity want them to remain at the bottom because both of them are heavier than water molecule ? Then it would be a downward flux.. (?)



If these two process occur together, how could I evaluate which is dominant, or what would be the equilibrium ?


I thought I could use something like a Boltzmann distribution ? Like Concentration = $\mathrm{exp}(mgz/kT)$ ? Im not sure though of how to consider an ion (Cl or Na) sinking between water molecules because of gravity


Thanks for help




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...