Thursday, July 27, 2017

rebus - The Lord of the Puzzles


In 1904 (at the age of 12) J.R.R. Tolkien sent a "puzzle letter" (pictured below) to a family friend; Father Francis Morgan.


What does it say?



Obviously it would be trivially simple to google the answer, so I want you to promise me that you didn't :-)


enter image description here



Answer



The sender's address (top right) was:



Woodside House, Rednal (wood, S, eye, D=500, E, house, {N, A, L=50} in red)



The letter reads:



My dear wise owl Fr. Francis, (M=1000, eye, deer, Y's, owl, France with 'Fr.' on it, hiss)

You are too bad (U, R, 2, bee, A, D=500)

not to come in (knot, 2, sea, O, M=1000, E, inn)

spite of Fr. Dennis. (spit, E, OF, Fr., D=500, hen, eye, S)

I am so sorry you (Hyam, sew, saw, rye, yew)

did not like the (D=500, eye, D, knot, L=50, bike-B, tea, HE)

word 'piano' in my l... (words, pea, note-T, inn, M, eye, L)

...ast letter. So I... (mast-M, letter, sow, eye)




Thanks to Pete and d'alar'cop and LeppyR64 and JNF for help with some of the clues (see comments below).


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...