Wednesday, September 20, 2017

pattern - What is a Vain Word™?


This is inspired by the What is a Word/Phrase™ puzzles originally created by JLee.



If a word has a certain property, I call it a Vain Word™.


In each of the short, unrelated sentences below, only one of the choices is a Vain Word™.


The sentences are for context only, and do not affect whether a word is a Vain Word™.




  1. I missed the bus, so I took a ( CAB / TAXI ) to work.

  2. The old house down the street is covered in ( IVY / VINES ).

  3. Having too much to drink can make you ( VOMIT / PUKE ).

  4. To my dismay, a ( YOUNGSTER / YOUTH ) always loiters in front of my store.

  5. Archaeologists who explore tombs may have to contend with a ( ZOMBIE / MUMMY ).


  6. I noticed the ocean was very ( WAVY / CALM ) while I was sitting on the beach today.

  7. Having been beaten by my enemy last time, this time I was prepared to ( OUTSMART / OUTWIT ) him.

  8. The controversial social experiment turned out to be a ( HOAX / SHAM ).

  9. The mathematician was stuck trying to prove something, until he recalled a rather obscure ( AXIOM / THEOREM ).

  10. My friend showed my his ( GARGANTUAN / MAMMOTH ) truck. It was quite an eyesore.



What makes a word a Vain Word™?



Answer



Vain words are




made up of letters which are symmetrical about the Y-axis, presumably because they like to look at themselves in the mirror



That is:



1. TAXI
2. IVY
3. VOMIT
4. YOUTH
5. MUMMY

6. WAVY
7. OUTWIT
8. HOAX
9. AXIOM
10. MAMMOTH



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...