Friday, December 28, 2018

homework and exercises - Derviation of group velocity


I am working thru a derivation of the group velocity formula and I get to this stage: $$y=2A\cos(x\frac{\Delta K}{2} -t\frac{\Delta \omega}{2})\sin( \bar k x-\bar \omega t)$$ Then all the derivations I have seen say that $\frac{\Delta \omega}{\Delta K} $ is the group velocity. I know mathematically why this is a velocity but what I don't get is why do we know that this is the group velocity rather then the phase velocity and that $\frac{\bar \omega}{\bar k}$ is the phase velocity and not the group velocity?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...