Friday, October 10, 2014

forces - Mechanical Energy Analog to Capacitance


For starters I am a complete physics noob. I've been trying to understand basic fundamental ideas at a conceptual level I was drawn to the fact that work $(J) = FxD = CxV.$ I started trying to find mechanical and electrical analogs. For example moving a coulomb through static field to increase voltage seems analogous to moving a mass through a gravitational field to increase potential energy. If so a coulomb is the electric analog of a mass, and height (and the potential energy of each) would be analogous to electrical potential difference (aka voltage) etc. All was going well I was feeling I could picture the world of electrical energy (unintuitive) in terms of mechanical energy analogs (intuitive)… But then I hit capacitance. ..Is there any mechanical equivalent of capacitance?. And if not why not?. If C/V is capacitance is the mechanical version of that Force/ Distance or maybe Distance / Force. Is there a unit assigned to this mechanical capacitance I am imagining - if it exists? Does is question even make sense?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...