Thursday, September 10, 2015

classical mechanics - Shape of rotating rope (lasso problem?)


Let's take a wire or a rope. I usually do this with a chain or my scarf.


I fixate one end in my hand and apply rotation (by subtle movements of this endpoint like spinning a lasso). The rope gets into rotation and obtains certain bent shape: enter image description here


Some part is missing because cellphone cameras ain't great for high-speed photos but I hope you can imagine all the scarf.


The question is: how can I calculate/predict this shape?


Although this problem doesn't seem that bizarre, I have never seen any solution. Nor I have found this question asked anywhere on internet... Must be because I just don't know how to formulate it without pictures.


Also by taking longer rope I get more than one bend: enter image description here


I apoligize for the quality again. It is even harder to rotate this while taking picture. The form is not spiral, it is more like a shape in a plane that's rotating.


I'll be thankful for explanations, solutions, links or at least a correct formulation of this problem.





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...