Friday, September 25, 2015

electromagnetism - If you are vacuuming your carpet and you wrap the cord around your body do you become a magnet?



If you wrap an active electric cord around your body, do you become an electromagnet?



Answer



Okay, accuse me of having too much time on my hands, but here's what I did:


enter image description here


If you can't tell from the pic. I wrapped the vacuum cord around a steel bar. I turned on the vacuum and tried to pick up the screw. Absolutely nothing not even a hint of attraction so maybe BowlofRed has a point.


In case the comment gets deleted later, here is BowlofRed's comment:



The power cord has two conductors in it. The current is moving in opposite directions in each, so the net current flow through the cord is zero. No net current, no bulk magnetic field. – BowlOfRed



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...