Tuesday, August 23, 2016

homework and exercises - Ball flying towards me or me flying towards ball


Suppose a ball is flying towards me at a speed of 10m/s and that, on impact, I feel "x" amount of pain.


If, instead, it was me flying towards the ball at the same speed, with all other conditions being the same, would I feel the same amount of pain?



Answer



Look at it this way:



Suppose you are in a train travelling at 10 m/s. Somebody inside the train throws a ball at you in the opposite direction at 10 m/s. You feel the pain belonging to your first experiment. However, somebody looking at this experiment from outside the train would say that the ball is standing still and you are travelling towards the ball at 10 m/s (= your second experiment). Since it is the same experiment, you will feel exactly the same pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...