Thursday, December 8, 2016

general relativity - Can the torsion of a connection be measured mechanically?


In general relativity, we assume that the connection is torsion-free. In some alternate theories, like Einstein-Cartan theory, we consider connections with torsion.


According to this answer, torsion can be measured through the precession of spins, but this requires understanding spinors in GR. Is there a way to directly measure torsion without using spin, ideally through a simple mechanical system? (I don't care if this is an impractical experimental test, I just want intuition for what the torsion tensor means physically.)



Answer




The papers cited on this question may give you an answer or at least some insight. As far as I have read, the only paper that uses spinors is Flanagan and Rosenthal (arXiv:07041447).


(I'd have put that in a comment but I don't have enough reputation)


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...