Tuesday, January 31, 2017

word square - A Trickier Wordsquare Riddle


My favorite Wordsquare Riddles,
Inventing them, I can't resist.
But this, with four stanzas,
There might be a twist!


My first is perfectly happy,
Featured in a song of Coldplay's.
My second is roughly a hertz,

Back in Mozart days.


My third does not empty graves.
National, personal, why not?
My fourth determines your destiny.
Also, a task of the pilot.


A bit tricky? I apologize.
The clues are obvious as can be.
For the geniuses on this site
I bet they solve this easily!


Hint 1:




This is a Wordsquare, which is a crossword shaped like a square, and having same across and down clues. No other specification.



Hint 2:



For the first word, it is just a word in the lyrics, not the title. To make it easier: the song has the same birth date and month as Robert Baden Powell.



Hint 3:



I must admit that you must think laterally a bit, but I'm afraid that if I add the tag, the answers will go wild.




Hint 4:



Underestimating the last stanza will make you fail this puzzle.




Answer



The answer is a Wordsquare, but ...



... it is not a 4×4 square, despite there being four clues on the face of it. It turns out that the square is 5×5. Only four of the words are defined explicitly in the puzzle and all words are five letters long.




The first:



Bliss is a word in the lyrics of Something Just Like This: "Some superhero. Some fairytale bliss ..."



The second:



Lento is a musical instruction to play slowly and could be more or less one beat per minute. Thanks to MMAdams for the useful link and also for having the right idea about the Hertz clue.



The third:




To inter is to place a corpse in a grave at a funeral. And there are references to international and interpersonal.



The fourth:



Steer: a pilot steers an aircraft or it steers other ships into the harbour. And one is steered by one's destiny.



The final Wordsquare:



 B L I S S
L E N T O

I N T E R
S T E E R
S O R R •

But there's a twist:



It is clear by now that there is a fifth word:
Sorry: A bit tricky? I apologize.



Well, it's never too late to say that. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...