Thursday, November 30, 2017

general relativity - Curved space-time VS change of coordinates in Minkowski space


I'm looking for a rather intuitive explanation (or some references) of the difference between the metric of a curved space-time and the metric of non-inertial frames.


Consider an inertial reference frame (RF) with coordinates $\bar x^\mu$, in flat spacetime $\eta_{\mu \nu}$ (Minkowski metric).





  1. If I have well understood, on one hand, I can go to an accelerated RF by change of coordinates $x^\mu(\bar x)$. The metric is given by: $$\tag{1}g_{\mu \nu}(x) = \frac{\partial \bar x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \bar x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\nu}} \eta_{\alpha \beta}$$




  2. On the other hand, I know that a curved space-time with metric $q_{\mu \nu}$ cannot be transformed to Minkowski $\eta_{\mu \nu}$ by coordinate transformation. In other words there does NOT exist any coordinate $x^\mu(\bar x)$ such that (in the whole coordinate patch): $$\tag{2}q_{\mu \nu}(x) = \frac{\partial \bar x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \bar x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\nu}} \eta_{\alpha \beta}\qquad \leftarrow \text{(does not exists in curved space)}$$




So far, everything is more or less ok... But my question is:





  1. What is the difference between $q_{\mu \nu}$ and $g_{\mu \nu}$? I mean, in both cases a particle would "feel" some fictitious forces (in which I include the weight force due to the equivalence principle).




  2. What physical situation can $q_{\mu \nu}$ describe and $g_{\mu \nu}$ cannot?




I additionally know that by change of coordinates $q_{\mu \nu}$ is locally Minkowski. But still, I can't see clearly the difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...