Tuesday, November 14, 2017

board games - Homeworldsmate - Inheritance or Insurance fraud


Homeworldsmate: a chess puzzle (directmate e.g.) but with Homeworlds instead of chess. That's a term I just coined/made up, and since I'm currently the one making these, you're just going to have to accept it.


While I'm inventing names, I'll give Left player* a name. Her name is Lee. Right player shall be known as Ray.


Here is the devious Homeworldsmate puzzle just made (like the little star dots i added this time? I'm an arteest!):


enter image description here



yeah that's right, less moves than last time (nobody say "*fewer moves" or you might have fewer friends >:[ ). However, I believe this one might be a bit more difficult. Also I'm pretty sure there's only one unique solution this time, as opposed to the small variety of paths in my last one.


anyway, let me give you small nudge about this puzzle. You may immediately want to change that yellow over at Ray's Homeworld (and cause a catastrophe), however, in a Homeworlds set, there are only 3 red smalls, and you'll notice all three red smalls are in play, leaving no red smalls to switch to in the bank.


Bonus round: explain the meaning of the subtitle/s. I couldn't decide on a singular one, so take the duplication to be a solving aid for this bonus.


Anyway, for our no-image puzzlers, and perhaps for other puzzlers who for some other reason also want text, here ya go:



key: type of piece (stars or ships, left and right): quantity if >1 colour size (size as a number/pip count)

Lee's Homeworld: stars: Blue large (3), Red small (1)
Lee's ships: 2 Green mediums (2), Blue small (1), blue large (3)
Ray's ships: Red large (3)

Ray's homeworld: stars: Blue medium (2), Red small (1)
Lee's ships: Yellow small (1)
Ray's ships: Red large (3), Red small (1)



  • (owner of pieces pointing away from left, pieces above their star system, owner of the homeworld on the left (though the position can technically accomodate homeworlds being in other such positions))


(by the way, I decided to personify the players after Gareth's answer with the pronouns he picked, rather than using generic ones I guess.)


Also, I probably should have made Lee have lower pieces, but consistency is key and I already did it.


Also I hope you appreciate the trouble I took to release this now rather than tomorrow.


and yes, the game of space kings can be tagged outer-space thank you very much. I will not be tagging no computers, but that's only because it becomes the main tag when it should not, and that annoys me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...