Saturday, November 11, 2017

particle physics - Using Quantum Teleportation in a way to have the effect of matter teleportation


So, I understand that quantum teleportation is the transfer of a quantum state from one particle or system of particles and its correlations to another receiving system consisting of particle(s). Can't this be used in a way to achieve teleportation as depicted in sci-fi?


You start out with a translationally entangled particle pair (position and momentum are correlated) as described by this paper: http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v61/i5/e052104


Now according to these papers, you can theoretically teleport the position and momentum information of particle. Atomic teleportation of the external degrees of freedom, (Their position and momentum)


http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v49/i2/p1473_1


http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v86/i14/p3180_1



http://iopscience.iop.org/0295-5075/75/6/847


Firstly, I need someone to help me understand exactly what is being teleported in regards to the papers I've listed. I understand completely the discrete case of quantum teleportation with spin or polarization, I'm not asking for that.


This is what I know:


1) Start out with a translationally entangled pair. 2) Interact an "input" particle with one of the pairs. 3) Make a measurement of the input particle with one of the pairs' position and momentum. (This is the step I don't really understand) But I know that this is analogous to the Bell state measurement in discrete quantum teleportation that is widely described everywhere. 4) This result is communicated to the other laboratory where appropriate "shifts" of position and momenta are done to the entangled pair just like in the discrete case again.


So, if position and momentum information is teleported, then does this mean that if the input particle was propagating in the X-direction like a wave-packet, then after teleportation, the receiving particle will now move in the X-direction relative to its original position? This is quite confusing to me.


I want to understand this because I want to ask the trillion dollar question, "What if you are to replace the input particle with a input MOLECULE?"


For a diatomic molecule, its simply two atoms of the same type. According to this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_combination_of_atomic_orbitals


I know there are vibrational states in molecules which ARE essentially position and momenta information right?


If we are to set up TWO translationally entangled pairs of atoms of the same type... And have them simultaneously interact with the molecule in step 3), then can't we do the appropriate SHIFTS of the entangled pairs of atoms to make them turn into the input molecule?!


So, the overall effect is that if you start out with H2 in Lab A, and had a translationally entangled pair for each atom, then you'll end up with H2 in Lab B after teleportation which is exactly what we want if we want to stick close to the sci-fi sense.



If what I am saying makes sense, then can't this be in principle be extrapolated to larger molecules and eventually cells, and organs, to an entire human? I know that this is a large jump...


However, what I'm trying to say is that according to this kinda scheme I'm asking about, its sticking to real physics, and its essentially accomplishing teleportation in the sense people know about. Do I make sense?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...