Friday, August 17, 2018

angular momentum - Boomerang physics and aerodynamics


I posted a question before on this website asking how to build a boomerang for a project which can fly at least 200 feet, so how would I increase the flight path. A user responded with: slow down the rate at which it turns in its path: this means that the linear velocity needs to be small compared to the wing velocity (less differential lift), so we need fast rotation and a wing with small angle of attack. Second, we need a large moment of inertia so the boomerang maintains rotation during flight - @CuriousOne's suggestion of a tungsten tipped blade is certainly interesting (consider a 3 legged boomerang to give a more favorable construction). Finally - throw it hard. After researching some of the concepts he was talking about I still don't really understand how it will make the flight path longer. Can someone explain to me or direct me to a website which can, keep in mind I'm only 16 and I`m pretty new to physics. Thank you very much for your time. Please also state why you are a reliable source for my bibliography.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...