Thursday, August 30, 2018

cipher - Weird messages from a friend


I'm really worried about my friend Friedrich, until today I haven't heard anything from him for the last few weeks. I decided to message him and ask if anything is wrong, and he responded with some weird messages. Now I'm even more concerned! I screenshotted the messages for you to see (I also included a text-only version).


a completely irrelevant image description




Me on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:15:
I noticed you haven't been online for a few weeks. Is everything OK?

I/MFree on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:18:

CEPZH WJAIE APU

Me on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:24:
What the hell are you saying? What happened?

I/MFree on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:27:
CQJXK URREC EOEDK JCPNS TGOTP TPRNF YFBQV CV

Me on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:32:
You're really freaking me out now... Please just answer normally! Where are you?


I/MFree on Fri, 09/09/2016 18:39:
VUFAI ILSZP IYGWV FZHAQ EXPZH GBHEH CGJKN IJFOY KPZTR EUDKJ KCFOZ FYQRC IKUZN ATETJ NAEQL XJLKR J



Some additional clarifications/info:



  • The dates are in the format dd/mm/yyyy.

  • The time is in the format hh:mm.

  • He, for some reason, changed his username to I/MFree.


  • I'll update if anything worth mentioning happens, assuming someone didn't solve it by then.




Update #1



He just sent me a new message! It seems to be independent from the others, since he only responded when I sent something before. Maybe it's not even encrypted!


I/MFree on Sat, 10/09/2016 10:12:
WP-WP-WP RS-RS-RS R-WO-WO-WO

Update #2



I just sent him a message on Sat, 10/09/2016 20:37, but he never responded back... Weird... Before he always responded to every message! And considering where he comes from, he shouldn't be asleep so early!




Update #3



What does the fact that he is not named "Frederick" but "Friedrich" most likely say about him?



Update #4 (two seperate hints)



The spaces in the message of Update #1 may be more important seperators than you think.

Enigma models






What is he trying to say, what happened to him and where is he?



Answer



Piggybacking off of everyone else, the solution is to use



An Enigma Machine, where the timestamps on our messages determine the settings of the machine as follows:

Grundstellung: The letters in the three-letter day abbreviation
Ringstellung: In order, the day, month, and last two digits of year
Umkehrwalze (reflector): Presumably determined by the tens digit in the hour - but this is 1 in all cases and we can just use reflector A
Walzenlage: In order, the ones digit of the hour, the tens digit of the minutes, and the ones digit of the minutes



As an example, our first message




has timestamp Fri, 09/09/2016 18:15 indicating the settings
Reflector A, with wheels VIII I V initially set to 9-9-16 and the display initially set to F-R-I



In order, Friedrich's messages decode to:



NONOT HINGI SOK
SOMEO NEKID NAPPE DMEAN DIMBE INGMO NITOR ED
FOURZ ERODO TSEVE NFIVE NINET WOTWO ZEROC OMMAM INUSO NEONE ONEDO TNINE ZEROO NETHR EEFIV ESEVE N




the last of which are coordinates to Friedrich



40.759220,-111.901357



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...