Monday, May 13, 2019

particle physics - Why does Wikipedia equate hidden symmetry with broken symmetry for the standard model?


I have recently started studying the basic ideas of symmetry and group representation in order to understand the basic principles behind the standard model. I do follow the difference between a global and a local symmetry and I do understand, in very general terms, the importance of local gauge symmetries in explaining basic features of the standard model.


But I would like to get clarification on the question below:


Is a hidden symmetry the same concept as a broken symmetry as regards the standard model?


Obviously hidden and broken are different words and so, to me at this stage, they imply different concepts within the SM framework.


The reason I am asking this question is that I get confused when I read statements on Wikipedia stating:


Hidden is perhaps a better term than broken.


The word perhaps worries me because it implies a subtle difference that I have not yet grasped.


I know that a hidden symmetry analogy is, for example, the basis for the flattened spiral arms of the milky way remaining in that shape possibly because of a dark matter halo surrounding them.


I know that an example of a broken symmetry is the differing masses given to different particles depending on how they couple to the Higgs field.



I cannot see, at the level I am at anyway, what motivates the Wikipedia article to adopt the wording it has, with respect to the SM.


As you will see from the comments below, anna v has provided me with a good link, which I really appreciate and which I am currently working my way through:




Everything in particle physics is hidden until it is revealed by a measurement :). try thisippp.dur.ac.uk/~krauss/Lectures/IntoToParticlePhysics/… 



but I wonder has Wikipedia got these ideas mixed up?


I am reposting this question, just in case anybody else has a defence of the Wikipedia wording.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...