Wednesday, May 8, 2019

quantum mechanics - How does quantization solve UV catastrophe in black body radiation? What would happen if there was no Planck constant $h$?


Planck's Law is $$I(\nu,T)=\frac{8\pi\nu^3}{c^2}\cdot\frac{1}{e^{h\nu/kT}−1}$$



This solves the UV catastrophe. For higher frequencies, intensity goes to zero.


It does so because of $e^\nu$ not because there is a $h$ constant. If we remove $h$ parameter from the equation, it still goes to zero for higher frequencies. Right?


So why is "UV catastrophe is solved by quantization" said?


Note: I'm not saying if h = 0. I'm saying if there was no h constant. Like this:


$$I(\nu,T)=\frac{8\pi\nu^3}{c^2}\cdot\frac{1}{e^{\nu/kT}−1}$$




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...