Saturday, August 10, 2019

reference frames - Euler angles derivation


I have been trying to grasp the idea of Euler angles for a while. Can anyone point out if my understanding is correct or not.


Situation: We have 3 axes known as principal axes of inertia which define rotation axes of a body, the body is rotationally symmetric about each of these axes, and If we start from a Cartesian $i,j,k$ system, we need to orientate such that they are in position or match the principal axes,each of the orientation the angles rotates defines a unique change in orientation i.e. rotation, so we can construct any rotation by combining these Euler angles vectors?


I don't think I fully understand how the Eulers angles were defined, my intuition to these derivation should be defined like this, 1. rotate about $z$ axis 2. rotate about $y$ axis, 3 rotate about $x$ axis. But I can't convince myself why I'm wrong. I hope any experts can point me out.



Eulers angles




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...