Friday, August 16, 2019

Understanding quantum entanglement.. help me validate this analogy!


I'm struggling to understand the concept of quantum entanglement. I've distilled my understanding into an analogy, and I need your help to validate it. Here it is:


Let's say I receive two envelopes. Both envelopes have this written on them:



Hello! Open this letter...

If the paper inside is red, then other envelope has blue paper.
If the paper inside is blue, then other envelope has red paper.



So, if I open one letter, and the paper inside is red, then I know the other letter contains the blue paper.


Is this equivalent to quantum entanglement? The fact that I will know the color of the other paper when I open (i.e. observe) one envelope?


In theory, if one of the letters "appeared" in a different galaxy, I would still know the color of the paper inside that letter, just by opening my letter, instantly, correct?


Before I open the letter, is the paper inside each envelope in superposition (??), i.e. 50/50, red or blue?


In this analogy, I am assuming that what's written on the letters is true. Is this a correct assumption in quantum physics? I think so yes?


In real quantum physics, would I be able to change the color of one paper, so that I change the color of the other one? No right?



Answer




If you want to turn this into an analogue of quantum entanglement, you need to assume this: You and I each carry one of the envelopes to a different location. Then we open them. Then:



  • If we both choose to open our envelopes from the top, we always find papers of opposite colors.

  • If either of us chooses to open his envelope from the top while the other chooses to open his envelope from the bottom, we still always (or nearly always) find papers of opposite colors.

  • If we both choose to open our envelopes from the bottom, we always (or nearly always) find papers of identical colors.


Now try telling a story like yours --- where the envelopes carry true information about what's "really" in the other envelope --- that fits these facts. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...