Wednesday, October 21, 2015

electromagnetism - Why is divergence and curl related to dot and cross product?


I've been reading Griffith's intro to electrodynamics and I've been a bit confused on his explanation of divergence and curl. I don't understand how divergence is the dot product of a gradient acting on a vector function and curl is the cross product of gradient acting on a vector function. Does it relate to the fact that one uses sine while other uses cosine? Just to clarify, I understand the concept of divergence and curl from a purely conceptual standpoint, it's just this mathematical definition that I can't wrap my head around.





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...