Saturday, October 31, 2015

homework and exercises - Rocket Altitude Calculation




Basic data


I was launching a rocket model and I tried to calculate the reached altitude.



  • The engine (C6-0) impulse is 10 Ns


  • Total weight is 65,7 g (includes the engine)


I calculated speed = 152 m/s


$$\vec F \cdot t = \Delta m \vec v$$


Then I calculated the altitude 1007 m which seems too much to me. I guess something about 200 m (you may see the video)


$$y_{\max} = \frac{v_0^2 \ }{2 g}$$


Drag


I guess, I have to consider drag



  • Diameter of rocket 2,5 cm


  • Drag coefficient 0,05 (I guess)


$$F_D\, =\, \tfrac12\, \rho\, v^2\, C_D\, A$$


But what about now, what is really achieved altitude?




(source: estesrockets.com)



(source: estesrockets.com)


Rocket Altitude Calculation




Answer



I made a simple Excel spreadsheet to calculate this. Some simplifying assumptions:


Mass = 66 gram (during thrust), 33 gram (after burn) Cd = 0.5 (like for sphere) rho = 1.22 (air) Simple numerical (Newton) integration of equation of motion (0.1 second time step)


Resulting curve:


enter image description here


Height of about 300 m, total flight time just under 14 seconds. Based on the video (which didn't show the descent) I think that time to peak was about 6 seconds - close to that predicted by this.


Excel file is at http://www.floris.us/physicsSE/rocket.xlsx


It was just a "rough" calculation... I know much better calculators exist "out there".


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...