Monday, December 28, 2015

soft question - Should I begin to study quantum mechanics or wait until I have a stronger base on easier topics?



I apologize if this is off topic since it does not relate directly to the study of physics, but I could not think of a better place to ask.


I am a high school student graduating in a few days and have recently developed an interest in quantum mechanics. I began to study physics about one and a half years ago and calculus two years ago, and I feel confident about my abilities in integral and vector calculus (at a typical college Calc I–III level), differential equations, mathematical problem solving, and some set theory. I have been introduced to quantum behavior, particle physics, and nuclear physics, but none of these were delivered with a heavy focus on mathematics. Quantum physics, however, caught my attention as a future field of study due to its bizarre nature and inquisitive mathematical models.


Without prior knowledge of more difficult topics, I am concerned that attempting to study quantum mechanics will only provide entertainment rather than benefit my college career. I have selected a few books (Griffiths, Sakurai, Feynman, etc.) of which I will choose one to read over the summer of this year and onto college if I determine to do this.


Should I follow these plans without first strengthening my knowledge in other fields of physics and mathematics, as I dive directly into the topic? Or should I wait until I am more experienced in other fields before discouraging myself with the difficulty of quantum mechanics? If so, what areas of physics or mathematics would you recommend as prerequisites to the topic?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...