Tuesday, February 9, 2016

newtonian mechanics - How do you explain spinning tops to a nine year old?


Why don't spinning tops fall over? (The young scientist version)


My nine year old son asked me this very question when playing with his "Battle Strikers" set. Having studied Physics myself, I am very keen to encourage him to take an interest in Science and I am delighted when he asks me such questions. In this case, however, I'm stumped. How do I explain why a spinning top doesn't fall down without going into the mathematics of angular momentum?


I thought the following post would help, but the answers would just bamboozle him I'm afraid. Why don't spinning tops fall over?


So, how do you explain spinning tops to a nine year old?





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...