Thursday, February 18, 2016

torque - Static equilibrium question: Horizontal rod attached to a wall


I'm doing a problem on static equilibrium and I'm unclear whether a force exists or not. This is my force diagram:


Force diagram


The setup is: a homogenous rod with a certain mass is attached to a vertical wall on one side, an object hangs on the other side, and a cable connects the rod to the wall with a tension T. I understand which forces are needed for static equilibrium. What I'm confused about is what's happening at point A. Since the wall exerts a force on the rod which points upwards (Fy, rod), per Newton's 3rd Law does the rod then exert a force on the wall which points downwards (Fy, wall)?





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...