Tuesday, February 23, 2016

standard model - Weak isospin and types of weak charge


My understanding is that QCD has three color charges that are conserved as a result of global SU(3) invariance. What about SU(2) weak? Does it have two types of charges? What I'm getting at is:


U(1) --> 1 type of charge


SU(2) --> ?


SU(3) --> 3 types of charge



Does SU(2) have two types? If not, what is the relation between SU(N) invariance and the number of charge types?


Idea: Maybe both I and I_3 (weak isospin and its third component) are conserved before electroweak symmetry breaking? Is that true? If so, then that would answer my question.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...