Tuesday, February 2, 2016

particle physics - Could the universe be accurately simulated with an infinitely powerful computer?



This would mean that every event happens because of what has hapened before it and there is no randomness factor. At a microscopic level, the motion of atoms is a result of the motion of other atoms around it. When an atom or molecules moves, it may hit another atom or molecule which will acquire part of its force. This means that every motion is related to each other. At a macroscopic level the same rule applies. If I behave a certain way, it is because of the education I have received, my manners, my way of thinking, which I have acquired from my family, friends, and other people surrounding me. In short, everything has a reason to happen and nothing pops out of the blue. For example, me asking that question comes from me and a friend discussing this topic. This happened because I am interested in science and this thought crossed my mind when I was bored.


Is this true, or is there a randomness factor?


If it was true, then how comes our world exists as it is? Since the Big Bang, everything must have been uniform, and there is no reason for there to be irregularities, like planets or suns.


Do quantum mechanics add the randomness factor?


TL;DR: Would it be possible to simulate the Universe with an extremely powerful computer? (One that could simulate every particle at the same time.)


NB: some may think that this question is a duplicate of the question: "Is the Universe deterministic?" In my opinion it is not since that question focuses on quantum mechanics, while this one on all aspects of the universe.





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...