Monday, October 10, 2016

riddle - A Massive and Torrid Affair



Is my first part a bargain? Be careful! Not quite.
My next, when it's scarlet, means something's not right.
My third: to police, an invaluable tool
Can my last bit be neutral? It can't, as a rule.



If you gather my pieces together, you'll get
A massive and torrid affair, you can bet.




Answer



The solution is:



Conflagration
Since "an extensive fire which destroys a great deal of land or property" could be described as a massive (extensive) and torrid (hot) affair (event).






The breakdown in the first four lines is as follows:


Is my first part a bargain? Be careful! Not quite.



Con - Initially seems like a bargain, but is actually not (be careful).



My next, when it's scarlet, means something's not right.



Flag - A "red flag" is an idiom indicating a warning sign.



My third: to police, an invaluable tool




Rat - An informal term used to describe a criminal who gives information to the police



Can my last bit be neutral? It can't, as a rule.



Ion - a charged particle (by definition not neutral)



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...