Thursday, August 17, 2017

newtonian mechanics - Where does the energy required to stop a moving body come from and go?


For a long time, I have been thinking about this: In order to stop a moving body, I have to apply impulse to change the existing momentum to $0$. For the impulse I have to impart force on the moving body . That means I have to eliminate all the kinetic energy associated with the moving object in order to bring it to a halt. Thus, work is done on the object, right? If work is done, energy must be given by me...



Here is where my confusion arises:



  1. If I eliminate the associated kinetic energy of the body, where does this energy go?

  2. The work(?) done by me on the moving object to stop it obviously uses energy from me. Again, where does this energy go?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...