Friday, August 18, 2017

time - Finding radius of Earth through observation of Sun's motion



The question I'm about to pose is from a physics book I had recently bought. Since I am very interested in physics I am quite keen in understanding how this question can be solved. Before I present this question, I would like to explain the context in which this question was posed. It is a question related to the chapter entitled - Measurement, dealing with the understanding of the basic quantities like mass, time, length etc. Now let me pose the question:

Suppose that while laying down on a beach near the equator of the Earth, you watch the sun setting below the horizon. You start a stopwatch the moment the top of the sun disappears below the horizon. You then stand to a height of 1.70 metres, and stop the watch when the top of the sun disappears again. The time interval is exactly 11.1 seconds. What is the radius of the Earth?

I must inform you that this is not a homework question or any such related assignment, I am simply asking a question whose solution I have been unable to find myself or online. I hope you'll be able to answer this question.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...